29.12.20

Review: The CEO of Technology: Lead, Reimagine, and Reinvent to Drive Growth and Create Value in Unprecedented Times

The CEO of Technology: Lead, Reimagine, and Reinvent to Drive Growth and Create Value in Unprecedented Times (Wiley CIO)The CEO of Technology: Lead, Reimagine, and Reinvent to Drive Growth and Create Value in Unprecedented Times by Hunter Muller
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This was just like reading an extended issue of CIO Magazine. The topics were the same as those often covered in that magazine, the style was similar, the structure of the stories was familiar. At times while listening to the audiobook, I found myself focusing on some aspect of the discussion that was missing, and, without fail, the author covered that missing topic later on. I found the specific discussion on actions to be most interesting. I usually find the anecdotes by company CIOs/technologists to be most interesting in these kinds of books, but these, while plentiful, interesting, and the right length, tended to not be much different than what I’d previously read. I found the author’s habit of writing long, glowing bios of the people he interviews and quotes at length was a bit over the top. I also noticed that the author truly gushed over every company he mentions for being ahead of their peers, more innovative, etc. Except for two companies. The author points out at length that IBM has greatly underperformed other competitors, and also mentions Xerox in passing as being a bad example of integrating technology. It seems like IBM and Xerox are always fair game at being bad examples in business and technology books, and this book plays along with the safe evaluation. Overall, I liked the book, but found it very similar to topical reading on CIOs and technology over the past decade or so.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Dying Animal

The Dying Animal by Philip Roth My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this at the same age as the protagonist, and I greatly appreciated t...