7.11.20

Review: When Changing Nothing Changes Everything: The Power of Reframing Your Life

When Changing Nothing Changes Everything: The Power of Reframing Your LifeWhen Changing Nothing Changes Everything: The Power of Reframing Your Life by Laurie Polich Short
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

One of the topics I like to learn more about is persuasion, and I read and listen to podcasts about this topic quite often. One of my favorite podcasts often discusses reframing of issues or questions or facts in such a way that one gets unexpected new insights into the source. This book provides ways to reframe the issues or questions or facts of one's own life in order to get that different perspective and to possibly get that aha moment when you gain new understanding. The author suggests 4 different "lenses" with which to approach your subject. A couple relate to changing your time perspective. I found the concepts familiar from other books that I've read, but I found this to be more specific on the types of reframing to attempt. I appreciated how the book organized (or framed) the way to think of this process. It's not perfectly clear and concise, but you can find enough along the way to make this a worthwhile read if you want some help in rethinking about your life.

The author did use a number of personal stories, and these were hit and miss for me. Many had a Christian life perspective that didn't add to the value of the content, but generally didn't detract from it either. I probably would have liked more stories and examples that I could identify with, but for many I expect the author will connect.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Dying Animal

The Dying Animal by Philip Roth My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this at the same age as the protagonist, and I greatly appreciated t...