8.11.20

Review: Louis L'Amour's Desert Tales: Desert Death Song and Law of the Desert

Louis L'Amour's Desert Tales: Desert Death Song and Law of the DesertLouis L'Amour's Desert Tales: Desert Death Song and Law of the Desert by Louis L'Amour
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I listened to this short audiobook of two L'Amour stories while driving on I-80 through the center of Illinois. These stories had in common that the hero in each story is being pursued into the desert by a group of men that are, shall we say unfriendly. One of the hallmarks of Westerns is the thorough description of the land, and with the desert here you feel the overwhelming vastness and emptiness and underlying danger. Kind of like I-80 during construction season. The heroes here are smart and resourceful, like most Western heroes I've read, and they face death and their pursuers and prevail in the end, in no small part because of their intelligence and knowledge of the land. A good set of stories. These were narrated, instead of having a full cast production, but as there were long stretches of story with only one character present, this worked fine. And I also noticed the excellent production of the audio, including music. Well done.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Dying Animal

The Dying Animal by Philip Roth My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this at the same age as the protagonist, and I greatly appreciated t...