23.11.20

Review: Infinite Spaces

Infinite SpacesInfinite Spaces by Joe Earle
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I read this short ebook in hopes of understanding how Japanese gardens are designed, and hoping to see some interesting illustrative photos. This didn't really hit the mark. The text was mostly snippets of ancient texts, I guess, about how to design gardens, mostly by feel. One piece of advice I recall is that if you use rock that has fallen from a mountain that has landed wrong side up, keep using it wrong side up. There are dozens of seemingly flip suggestions here like that. I was also disappointed in the photos. I would expect to see multiple photos illustrating the sections of the book, which were divided by features (rock, water flow, trees, etc.). However, the photos didn't seem to illustrate the features being described, nor the advice being offered. And the gardens shown were typically one photo, where an idea of how the features look from different perspectives would have been quite valuable. Another issue was that the pictures in the ebook version were dull and grainy. Not my favorite.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Dying Animal

The Dying Animal by Philip Roth My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this at the same age as the protagonist, and I greatly appreciated t...