5.10.20

Review: Chicago Cubs:: 1926-1940

Chicago Cubs:: 1926-1940 Chicago Cubs:: 1926-1940 by Art Ahrens
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I've read quite a few of these photo history books over the years. I enjoyed how they focused on a time period, a location, or a specific theme. Most I've read have provided some surprise, in terms of interesting photos, or details in the description that I hadn't heard of. This volume had some interesting details, but overall this felt more average than outstanding. Why? Many of the photos of the players were staged publicity photos or staged photos like they would use for baseball cards. They just didn't portray any action. The other photos are of the stadium, or scorecards, also didn't feel active. The writing in the book included summaries of the different eras within this 15 years, divided up by Cubs managers. I didn't know the details here, such as the everyday players that weren't superstars, but that makes up a lot of the text. In the end, you get a lot of info that just isn't very interesting. While I give the author kudos for including photos of some of those "common" players, they didn't add much to the story. Overall, this one just didn't catch my interest as much as other volumes in the series, like the "Chicago Cubs: Baseball at Catalina Island" volume did. I can see this being of great interest to those with a focused interest in this time frame of Cubs teams.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Foundation

Foundation by Isaac Asimov My rating: 3 of 5 stars I decided to read the Foundation novels in chronological order, and before this...