11.9.20

Review: The Answer Is…: Reflections on My Life

The Answer Is…: Reflections on My LifeThe Answer Is…: Reflections on My Life by Alex Trebek
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I expected a kind of "Last Lecture" feel to Trebek's book, and there was a little of that, providing some guidance for the future. But it was much more a quickly written autobiography with a number of anecdotes from Alex about his life. I enjoyed this. The book is short, and the topics are varied, so my interest never flagged. I listened to the audiobook, with Jeopardy superstar Ken Jennings narrating much of the book, when Alex wasn't talking. Alex did narrate the beginning and end, and the chapters about Jennings and those about his wife. I appreciated this. Well done. Strangely, Jennings and Trebek reminded me in one aspect of the story of Mark Twain working with US Grant to write and publish his autobiography when cancer flared up for Grant. For a Jeopardy fan, you get a lot about Trebek's background. You don't get much on Jeopardy's past - Art Fleming is mentioned twice. I expected more there. But given the focus of the book and the feeling that time is precious for Trebek, the lack is understandable. As a casual reflection on a life well lived, this worked for me. Trebek comes across as the kind of guy you wish was your neighbor.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Dying Animal

The Dying Animal by Philip Roth My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this at the same age as the protagonist, and I greatly appreciated t...