6.8.20

Review: The Aspern Papers

The Aspern PapersThe Aspern Papers by Henry James
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I approach James cautiously. I'm turned off by some of his vintage sentence phrasing. I figured a novella would limit this exposure. I also liked the short summary of the book, which sounded similar to one of my favorites of decades back, Byatt's "Possession". Well, no comparison. Totally different kinds of stories. This was readable, and even enjoyable, in part due to the short length. James was still vintage, but not as flowery as others I've read. The story, showing the lengths one can go to for academic curiosity, but also showing how people can use each other, was interesting. My take, James earns another shot on my reading list with this solid story.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Dying Animal

The Dying Animal by Philip Roth My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this at the same age as the protagonist, and I greatly appreciated t...