12.6.20

Review: Technically Wrong: Sexist Apps, Biased Algorithms, and Other Threats of Toxic Tech

Technically Wrong: Sexist Apps, Biased Algorithms, and Other Threats of Toxic TechTechnically Wrong: Sexist Apps, Biased Algorithms, and Other Threats of Toxic Tech by Sara Wachter-Boettcher
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Given the title of this book, I assumed it would focus exclusively on the problems of bias in software and machine learning. This has been in the news for quite a while, and on top of the news recently. While most of the book provides stories about bias as I expected, a large part of the book was about various other behaviors, sexist, racist, illegal, and just bad. (Think hiring at Uber.) If you have kept up with these kinds of issues in Wired/Fast Company magazines and their ilk, you get many more examples here, but not much by way of solutions. Despite that mild disappointment, I found the writing kept my interest, at least up until the end, when it felt like the authors were reaching for things to write about. Good for helping an ITer, data scientist, or a tech company exec to think through how these issues may touch on your own company, products and practices.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Foundation

Foundation by Isaac Asimov My rating: 3 of 5 stars I decided to read the Foundation novels in chronological order, and before this...