8.6.20

Review: The Captain Class: The Hidden Force that Creates the World's Greatest Teams

The Captain Class: The Hidden Force that Creates the World's Greatest TeamsThe Captain Class: The Hidden Force that Creates the World's Greatest Teams by Sam Walker
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

If you believe that great teams need great leaders, that leaders are more likely the normal Joes than the superstars, that leaders earn their position by working harder than the other teammates and paying attention to each teammate, then this book is strong confirming evidence that you are correct. It’s not wholly subjective in choice of teams and in choice of measurement criteria, but it is pretty subjective. The author describes the rules he sets to choose the right kinds of teams for his analysis, but he doesn’t let these choices stop him from repeating any good, related anecdotes from teams that don’t make the cut. That’s actually what I most liked about the book, the many anecdotes, a majority from sports I don’t follow very closely, often from seasons in the now distant past (think rugby, women’s and men’s soccer, hockey). After having read dozens of business leadership books over the years, I didn’t find much unexpected here. But the many new-to-me stories made it very entertaining. I chose to read this based on reports that various professional sports teams had asked their players to read it, and I can understand the possible implications of putting these ideas into the heads of players. The examples and classifications may be translatable to leadership in business, but the book isn't written to focus on that use.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Dying Animal

The Dying Animal by Philip Roth My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this at the same age as the protagonist, and I greatly appreciated t...