11.4.20

Review: Strange Worlds

Strange Worlds Strange Worlds by Jonathan Maberry
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

While I listened to the audiobook version of this short story collection, I kept thinking back on variety shows like the old Carol Burnett Show. I was surprised I didn't think of The Twilight Zone. The stories were more appropriate to The Twilight Zone, certainly, with sci-fi and mystery and comedy and fantasy covered. But I think why I thought of The Carol Burnett Show was the extremely good narration of Ray Porter. Porter was able to inhabit the different roles in these very different genres with unique character. Porter did an excellent job as these stories Lyle Waggoner. The stories, in all their variety, were fine entertainment -- not unlike watching a good television show episode. My favorite was the take off of Plan 9 from Outer Space. I also appreciated the author aping the styles of the other stories, especially the John Carter of Mars story. This was quite like what you would read in those original stories, I believe.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Dying Animal

The Dying Animal by Philip Roth My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this at the same age as the protagonist, and I greatly appreciated t...