6.4.20

Review: Damascus

DamascusDamascus by Lucy Heckman
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Another of the Thoroughbred Legends series, this one comes from near the end of the series. I found the writing in this one was a little harder to read than some of the others. The author writes a lot of background on Damascus’ ancestry, with more horse names per page than most of these books. I noted quite a few of the pages were dedicated to Damascus’ sire, Sword Dancer – so many that I thought the author had been angling to write Sword Dancer’s entry in this series, but added that content to this Damascus book instead. Compared to the rest of the series, this was much the same, notwithstanding the overwhelming number of horse names – ancestry, progeny, and related. Best read with the Dr. Fager volume, given these contemporary racehorses battled for Horse of the Year for 1967 and 68.

View all my reviews

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Dying Animal

The Dying Animal by Philip Roth My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this at the same age as the protagonist, and I greatly appreciated t...