4.3.20

Review: To America

To AmericaTo America by Stephen E. Ambrose
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Just a famous historian and author, riffing on his personal thoughts about various historical figures, his career, and the state of the world. Being a famous historian/author, you expect to read a lot of documentation on reasons, and you get that here -- reasons why Ambrose thinks the way he does. For instance, although I don't believe he actually said that his favorite president was Teddy Roosevelt, he certainly makes the case. His thoughts on Jefferson -- over-rated. He covers other people and topics with the same level of thought he applies throughout. As interesting was his "inside baseball" discussion of the profession of historian, and of his own career autobiography. Historians like Ambrose are measured by their research and by their published output. Ambrose describes the impetus behind most of his books, with many interesting behind-the-scenes anecdotes involving professors and presidents and camping out in reservations. An interesting glimpse into Ambrose's career, life, and personal reflections on his subjects.

View all my reviews

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Dying Animal

The Dying Animal by Philip Roth My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this at the same age as the protagonist, and I greatly appreciated t...