19.3.20

Review: The Builders

The BuildersThe Builders by Maeve Binchy
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Having read many of Binchy’s earlier novels, I wondered what I would find in what looked to be a short story, where she didn’t have the luxury of many pages to weave her tale. She didn’t need it. Binchy tells the story of a housing contractor who visits the neighbor lady to the house he’s working on, and they develop a relationship. You meet the lady’s family and understand her story, and there is a plot tying the families together. While the basic story seemed quite similar to bits of others of Binchy’s novels, this worked well as a complete, stand-alone story. I enjoyed it, and I enjoyed the way that Binchy told this story in a very simple manner, without much flowery language. I didn’t realize until after I finished that this was written for an Irish literacy project, providing stories by Irish authors to help people learn to read. Wonderful idea, and well done.

View all my reviews

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Dying Animal

The Dying Animal by Philip Roth My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this at the same age as the protagonist, and I greatly appreciated t...