31.1.20

Review: Why Digital Transformations Fail: The Surprising Disciplines of How to Take Off and Stay Ahead

Why Digital Transformations Fail: The Surprising Disciplines of How to Take Off and Stay Ahead Why Digital Transformations Fail: The Surprising Disciplines of How to Take Off and Stay Ahead by Tony Saldanha
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

The author’s answer to the title question is “Because you didn’t plan well enough”. And he lists and goes through some of the steps to plan for transformation coming at it from a top-down strategic perspective. I liked that there were not too many steps called out. I also liked that the author included some reasonably interesting examples of companies that have competed (or failed to complete) steps in a transformation process. Many of the examples revolved around the author’s experiences in a large company with a “shared services” to manage. I didn’t find much new here – these are the same kinds of recommendations I recall from re-engineering books from decades back, adding an essence of Tom Peters. Also, I listened on audio, and found this book was built around some lists. Lists are difficult to follow on audio, and this book was no exception – the author included lists within lists so at times it was hard to determine where in the “stack” of advice the discussion was focused. This also felt very “big company” focused. Most examples and even the advice was aimed at large IT shops. Overall, a good (and not too long) reminder of what “digital transformation” means, with interesting examples – many from the author’s tenure at P&G.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Dying Animal

The Dying Animal by Philip Roth My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this at the same age as the protagonist, and I greatly appreciated t...