1.1.20

Review: Business for Bohemians: Live Well, Make Money

Business for Bohemians: Live Well, Make Money Business for Bohemians: Live Well, Make Money by Tom Hodgkinson
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I was not the target market for this book. While I occasionally think of myself as a Bohemian, I'm far from it, with a business and IT background. I've read plenty of books that are about starting businesses. This is of that kind, but with a twist in that the target is for non-traditional businesspeople. Remember the famous textbook/class "Physics for Poets"? This is the same kind of vibe. Hodgkinson provides some pointers as to how to do things for business, things like using spreadsheets. The book doesn't claim that you need to do all the steps in running a business, but you do need to understand what those steps are so you can understand the experts that you use. I didn't find these parts of the book all that insightful, but again I wasn't the target market. I can imagine your run of the mill Bohemian without prior business training would pick up good pointers here. I really enjoyed the stories of Hodgkinson building his Idler business, though. I found his "war" stories interesting, and often humorous. And I found his website, one I hadn't heard of before, quite interesting in its own right. Glad I read this and would read more by the author.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Dying Animal

The Dying Animal by Philip Roth My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this at the same age as the protagonist, and I greatly appreciated t...