1.8.19

Review: The Transparency Sale: How Unexpected Honesty and Understanding the Buying Brain Can Transform Your Results

The Transparency Sale: How Unexpected Honesty and Understanding the Buying Brain Can Transform Your Results The Transparency Sale: How Unexpected Honesty and Understanding the Buying Brain Can Transform Your Results by Todd Caponi
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I’ve worked in technical sales for almost two decades now, and I’ve been involved in many sales cycles. I liked “The Transparency Sale” because it agrees with what I’ve seen, and takes the best practices a little farther than many other sales books I’ve read. The author suggests calling out early in the sales process your own product’s weaknesses. I’ve found this counterintuitive with most sales managers and account managers I’ve worked with, who hope to eliminate any discussion of perceived weaknesses. I buy the author’s tact of starting with this discussion to build trust. When I’ve been in talks that start this way, the sales process went much more smoothly. I also appreciate the author’s additional points, including getting in front of contract terms negotiations and using references. I’ve taken many classes on creating and giving good technical demonstrations, appealing to limbic thinking in our prospects, and I appreciate those learnings, but they often stand alone, unconnected with the bigger sales process orchestration. Caponi’s book makes a good companion to those demo processes in order to think about the overall sales and account management process in an integrated way. Good read.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Foundation

Foundation by Isaac Asimov My rating: 3 of 5 stars I decided to read the Foundation novels in chronological order, and before this...