19.8.19

Review: Life on Purpose: How Living for What Matters Most Changes Everything

Life on Purpose: How Living for What Matters Most Changes Everything Life on Purpose: How Living for What Matters Most Changes Everything by Victor J. Strecher
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

The book blurb makes this sound like something new and “ground breaking”. It really wasn’t, although it did have its good parts and overall I thought it provided positive advice on becoming more focused in your life. I thought this would be one of the more philosophical self-help books, and it started that way with deep-thought advice on finding a purpose in life. But it then took a dogleg turn to living a more healthy life, with pointers on diet and rest. The overall effect was more like reading a health guru than a behavior guru, not that that’s bad, but It didn’t quite jibe with my blurb-based expectations. I found the advice affirming enough, and I would add these to the pile of like-minded books that provide a mental energy refill reinforcing continual growth.

I’ll note a couple of points that I thought were very well done with this book. The author’s voice, his choice of words and the anecdotes he shares were very easy to listen to and agreeable. His anchor anecdotes are about his daughter’s struggle with health issues, and this was very compelling, emotional writing. I listened on audio and found myself sitting in my car in a parking lot to focus on listening to these stories. Having daughters similar in age to the author’s, this hit home. Lastly, I listened to the audio version of this book, narrated by R.C. Bray. The narrator’s voice is deep and gravelly, his pace is slow and thoughtful. I’ve listened to others done by Bray (“The Martian”, “Fat City”) and here he speaks slower and deeper. He comes across as a kind of a voice of wisdom, ala Sam Elliott, with some knowing humor. The narration made this book better.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Foundation

Foundation by Isaac Asimov My rating: 3 of 5 stars I decided to read the Foundation novels in chronological order, and before this...