6.5.19

Review: Significant Figures: The Lives and Work of Great Mathematicians

Significant Figures: The Lives and Work of Great Mathematicians Significant Figures: The Lives and Work of Great Mathematicians by Ian Stewart
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I was looking for an entertaining digression on the lives of famous mathematicians. I got that, but I also got a history of their findings, with some basic attempts to explain these findings. While I followed along with understanding for a while, I lost it around the time the author got to 1900. I’d say this explanation was responsible for about a fifth of the book, so I spent more time than comfortable awash at sea. Part of my issue is that I am a visual learner, and having tackled this as an audiobook was probably not the best bet. The narrator gamely described non-Euclidean geometry problems, infinite series, and the like, but this part of the book was more miss than hit for me. I did enjoy what I came for, though, the lives of the mathematicians. As can be imagined, the ancients aren’t as knowable as the moderns (although their math is clearer). But overall, I found this a good book. I learned a little bit, and was entertained a little bit, and I appreciated the “mid level” review of concepts these men and women were working on.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Foundation

Foundation by Isaac Asimov My rating: 3 of 5 stars I decided to read the Foundation novels in chronological order, and before this...