16.5.19

Review: The Scandal of Money: Why Wall Street Recovers But the Economy Never Does

The Scandal of Money: Why Wall Street Recovers But the Economy Never Does The Scandal of Money: Why Wall Street Recovers But the Economy Never Does by George Gilder
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I read a couple of Gilder’s books on technology back a few decades when I was in college, and I must say that they had an impact in how I thought about the march of technology. I thought I would read one of his more current books to see if I could glean any other simple-to-repeat insight into economics, and from this book I got one. I won’t judge the veracity of this claim, but Gilder says that gold maintains its value because it can be mined, and mining requires time and money and resources. And he likens it to bitcoin mining. Interesting thought, and one that I’ll keep in my head. The bulk of the book is about the gold standard. I was expecting more related to technology, but was disappointed. I found the arguments presented here to be at times quite confusing, despite Gilder’s simple writing style. It’s one of those books where the sentences make sense, but the paragraphs sometimes don’t. I may try more Gilder books, as I like the way he writes, but I can’t say this topic was that interesting to me.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Foundation

Foundation by Isaac Asimov My rating: 3 of 5 stars I decided to read the Foundation novels in chronological order, and before this...