22.5.19

Review: The Course of Human Events

The Course of Human Events The Course of Human Events by David McCullough
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

If you are on the fence about going back to school to get your Master’s degree in History, listening to this short speech by David McCullough might cost you $50,000. It is worth it to know history, and it is worth it to be able to weave stories based on history the way McCullough does. He starts by describing John Trumbull’s painting of the signing of the Declaration of Independence. But the scene represented never occurred. The painting is a story illustrating the founders of the country as symbols, not as a replication of facts. An interesting way to start a speech about the value of history. He goes on, describing his own influences, especially books. I could go on, but the subject speech is short -- read it, or listen to it as I did. Be prepared for homework.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Foundation

Foundation by Isaac Asimov My rating: 3 of 5 stars I decided to read the Foundation novels in chronological order, and before this...