6.4.19

Review: Maybe I'll Pitch Forever: A Great Baseball Player Tells the Hilarious Story Behind the Legend

Maybe I'll Pitch Forever: A Great Baseball Player Tells the Hilarious Story Behind the Legend Maybe I'll Pitch Forever: A Great Baseball Player Tells the Hilarious Story Behind the Legend by Leroy Satchel Paige
My rating: 0 of 5 stars

What a great story, by a larger-than-life storyteller. You never know if what you read is 100% true, or exaggerated, but what Paige describes is a hard scrabble life of a guy who knows how to make money by capitalizing on his freakish abilities to play baseball, and who knows how to spend said money. Time and again, Paige tells of needing money, often after realizing a big payday or signing a playing contract. You learn a lot about his life, the ups and downs, family life, his difficulty in driving a car below the speed limit, and you learn about baseball at the time. You learn a lot about baseball, from the Negro League to pro ball, international play, and barnstorming for entertainment over the decades that Paige played. Paige has wonderful things to say about Bill Veeck. Paige also drops a couple of ethnic slurs along the way. But what I’ll remember about this book is how much of a character Paige was, and how funny he could be. This was one of those audiobooks I found myself guffawing at while driving. Quite a hoot.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Foundation

Foundation by Isaac Asimov My rating: 3 of 5 stars I decided to read the Foundation novels in chronological order, and before this...