12.4.19

Review: Architecting the Future Enterprise

Architecting the Future Enterprise Architecting the Future Enterprise by Deborah J. Nightingale
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I’ve read a number of books and manuals on enterprise architecture. Many provide help in creating architectures from a high level down to a low level. “Architecting the Future Enterprise” is like most of the books I’ve read on architecture, but the aim was a little higher. The book spends a lot of time on documenting the company and its needs at a very high level. Think mission/vision/values, but deeper drill-downs on those kinds of topics. The book covers the architecting process from this high level down through scenario planning and architecture documentation, not to the deep technical level but more to the story level. This certainly isn’t the process you would use to architect, say your cloud computing environment, but you would use it to architect at a higher level.

Like most architecture processes, doing everything that is recommended generates huge amounts of documentation, and would take massive time investments, including time from high level executives. When I read these books, I look for suggestions on economizing and timeboxing the processes. I didn’t get that here. That’s why you pay consultants to manage these processes, I guess, including the authors I suspect. I liked how the authors described the process and the kinds of issues that need to be analyzed and documented. This certainly could be a useful book for those going through an architecture exercise at work, to help you think through your process and to avoid missing something that you might need.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Foundation

Foundation by Isaac Asimov My rating: 3 of 5 stars I decided to read the Foundation novels in chronological order, and before this...