10.4.19

Review: Ain't No Place for a Hero: Borderlands

Ain't No Place for a Hero: Borderlands Ain't No Place for a Hero: Borderlands by Kaitlin Tremblay
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This is the second Pop Classics book I’ve read, and I enjoy the topics chosen and the writing. Here, you get some edge to that writing, as author Tremblay provides a very personal and impassioned take on a video game that I knew nothing about. The author provides some deep analyses of the game Borderlands, focusing on the inclusivity designed into the game. This is apparently quite novel in gaming. I enjoy this kind of deep analysis of media properties, with the understanding that people often find patterns when there aren’t intentional patterns existing. She made it interesting, though, by finding plenty and corroborating intentions in some cases with the game developers. Probably the best audience is those that know the game and that are interested in broader societal impacts of game design, but many will find interest.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Foundation

Foundation by Isaac Asimov My rating: 3 of 5 stars I decided to read the Foundation novels in chronological order, and before this...