10.3.19

Review: Plato and the Nerd: The Creative Partnership of Humans and Technology

Plato and the Nerd: The Creative Partnership of Humans and Technology Plato and the Nerd: The Creative Partnership of Humans and Technology by Edward Ashford Lee
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I found myself somewhat ill-prepared to take on this detailed look at the state of computer engineering, though I have a(n aged) degree in it. Half of the book was very high level, explaining, for instance, the behavior of logic circuits. These basic descriptions were often followed by detailed college level math to tie the practical back to the theory. Note to self – avoid audiobooks with college level math formulas, these need to be seen to be understood. I got a few things out of this long book. In particular, the main point of the author, based on my occasional flashes of recognition, was that the digital world was not a perfect replicator of the physical world, because the digital word was discrete, with measurements taken at intervals, whereas the physical world was continuous, with changes that could occur between those digital measurements. Given this obvious weakness, the digital world can’t be counted on to perfectly model the real, physical world. BTW, I understood this before I picked this book up. The book references other books, including “Goedel, Escher, Bach” by Hofstadter, which I believe informed its style as well as some of the content. This might be one of those books that, if you want to listen to the audiobook, you have to follow along in a physical book in order to see formulas and highlight.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Foundation

Foundation by Isaac Asimov My rating: 3 of 5 stars I decided to read the Foundation novels in chronological order, and before this...