30.12.18

Review: A Redbird Christmas

A Redbird Christmas A Redbird Christmas by Fannie Flagg
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I had read all of Fannie Flagg’s books but this one, saved for Christmas season. It has the quirky Southern characters, as she writes about in all of her books. But this one felt too manufactured. It would have made a better-than-average Hallmark Christmas movie if it were filmed, but that’s also the problem – it seemed like it followed one of those movies’ typical formula. Perhaps reading it out of season would have made it feel a bit fresher. Also, this was written as a short holiday book. Something felt left out, like character building and the creating of situational complexity that Flagg excels at, and that reflects real life. This felt like an abridgement. There was a climax, the kind you expect in a Hallmark Christmas movie, that I didn’t find fulfilling. For some easy reading, this will do in a pinch, but I prefer Flagg’s longer novels.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Foundation

Foundation by Isaac Asimov My rating: 3 of 5 stars I decided to read the Foundation novels in chronological order, and before this...