30.8.18

Review: Great Jobs for Everyone 50 +, Updated Edition: Finding Work That Keeps You Happy and Healthy...and Pays the Bills

Great Jobs for Everyone 50 +, Updated Edition: Finding Work That Keeps You Happy and Healthy...and Pays the Bills Great Jobs for Everyone 50 +, Updated Edition: Finding Work That Keeps You Happy and Healthy...and Pays the Bills by Kerry Hannon
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

The first half of this book, written by the author of many jobs articles on the AARP website, documents a large number of jobs that could be appropriate for older workers and for those looking for temporary or part-time work. Each job is described with details, examples, job requirements, typical employers, and possible salaries. I found this to be an interesting list, going into such esoteric jobs as bridge tutor, alumni event planner, and eco-landscaper. (Unfortunately, no circus jobs were mentioned!) According to the author, it’s not just retail work out there. Many of these jobs require advanced training, but the author points out those jobs that require, say a master’s degree compared to those that might require a 100 hour course for a certification. This extensive list opened my eyes to work that I may not have been thinking about for my “golden” years, or for my pre-“golden” years (depending on layoffs and health scares).

The second half of this book is a generic job hunting guide aimed at older workers. This included the typical advice on resumes, LinkedIn, entrepreneurship, and more, and included sections on job hunting for former military and for the disabled. The author aimed broadly here, also including some basic financial, social, and health advice. I found this part of the book to be very similar to many other books I’ve read over the years, so unless you have never read a book about careers, I wouldn’t recommend the second half of this book. Also, while the author lets her pleasant and occasionally humorous personality show in her writing, I found some of the tips in the second half to come across as condescending. Many people she is writing to are up-to-date on topics like email etiquette and the use of LinkedIn. Her advice is not for those people.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Dying Animal

The Dying Animal by Philip Roth My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this at the same age as the protagonist, and I greatly appreciated t...