28.12.23

Review: Trying to Save Piggy Sneed

Trying to Save Piggy Sneed Trying to Save Piggy Sneed by John Irving
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Most of this was forgettable, as are most books of short stories when I don't write a review for 10 months. But i do remember "The Imaginary Girlfriend", not by name, but because it was an ode to wresting. I read Pat Conroy's "My Losing Season", about his basketball playing days in college, mostly, and could imagine Irving, having finished reading the Conroy book, saying to a friend "Hold my beer." Conroy's passion for wresting lasts beyond his youth, such that he's coaching and wrestling decades beyond his college days. Irving writes dedication well, and it is oddly inspiring to read about that dedication to an unmonetized sport.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Dying Animal

The Dying Animal by Philip Roth My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this at the same age as the protagonist, and I greatly appreciated t...