6.12.23

Review: Backstage Passes & Backstabbing Bastards: Memoirs of a Rock 'N' Roll Survivor

Backstage Passes & Backstabbing Bastards: Memoirs of a Rock 'N' Roll SurvivorBackstage Passes & Backstabbing Bastards: Memoirs of a Rock 'N' Roll Survivor by Al Kooper
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Dear Lord, how had I never heard of this guy? I guess I wasn't paying attention. Kooper shows up at key places in rock and roll history, Zelig-like. From writing "This Diamond Ring" to hanging around a recording studio and lucking into playing organ on Dylan's "Like a Rollin' Stone" to producing and playing on Lynyrd Skynyrd albums and the Tubes albums to starting Blood, Sweat and Tears, Kooper has been behind many of the songs I have loved throughout my lifetime. His story seems unbelievable, which is the one thing that made it a little uncomfortable reading -- were you being fed a line of bull, or is it possible a guy got this much exposure to the rock world for twenty years (with a name that didn't ring a bell). I guess I believe. Very fun read, lots of rock and roll anecdotes. Kooper is a big name dropper, he mentions many in the rock and roll, folk, jazz, and blues worlds. And he shares pictures with many of these other stars. Again, very Zelig-like. A fun read.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Dying Animal

The Dying Animal by Philip Roth My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this at the same age as the protagonist, and I greatly appreciated t...