24.4.23

Review: Rough Sleepers

Rough SleepersRough Sleepers by Tracy Kidder
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I really enjoyed Kidder’s first book, “Soul of a New Machine”. I read it in college and switched majors because of it. I’ve enjoyed all of his books since. This one, though, seemed less complete than his other books. Kidder’s previous books mostly were told in a story arc. Here, it feels more like straight reporting. Perhaps this was mostly covering a shorter timeline than his other books. Perhaps it’s because this didn’t really have an ending, or at least the ending it had didn’t tie into the beginning. Kidder did make his topic, homelessness and the services supporting the homeless, interesting. The most interesting aspect of this book, like a number of his recent books, is the description of an individual’s self-sacrifice for the greater good.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Dying Animal

The Dying Animal by Philip Roth My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this at the same age as the protagonist, and I greatly appreciated t...