24.7.22

Review: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl

Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young GirlAnne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Somehow, I missed reading Anne Frank in school. It was never assigned in the classes I took. I keep seeing the book mentioned in “best book” lists online, so I decided it was time, before I turned 60. I found this version, “The Definitive Edition”, on audio. It contains the unedited version of the diaries. Ends up Frank’s father originally released an edited version of his daughter’s diaries, removing some or all of Anne’s mentions of sex. This version reads like you’d expect a teen girl’s diary would read. Only having heard about Frank’s story, many times, I had assumed it involved hiding behind the walls and living in spare spaces of a house, like other Holocaust movies portrayed the hiding of Jews. I was surprised to learn that there were multiple families living together in a building annex off of a factory. Also surprising was the time spent successfully hiding, even going about some normal things like taking correspondence courses. Frank’s descriptions make you feel that, while she lived through extraordinary circumstances, that people can adapt and make the most of their situations. It really is a hopeful book.

Until it ends, abruptly.

A very strong story.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Dying Animal

The Dying Animal by Philip Roth My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this at the same age as the protagonist, and I greatly appreciated t...