9.5.22

Review: A Fine and Pleasant Misery

A Fine and Pleasant MiseryA Fine and Pleasant Misery by Patrick F. McManus
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I discovered Patrick McManus through the audiocassettes of his essays and stories, articles from outdoors magazines. The audios, especially the ones narrated by George S. Irving, were truly hilarious. Irving told the stories with the bombast they deserved, particularly the stories involving McManus as a kid with a cast of characters that felt real small town, yet comic. For instance, one Rancid Crabtree keeps showing up to show how foolish outdoorsy bachelors get along.

For this book, “A Fine and Pleasant Misery”, I couldn’t find an audio version, so I went with paper. Crabtree shows up in a few stories in this collection, cantankerous as always. There are 27 essays or stories here, all humorous, and all dealing with the outdoors. There are a few about fishing issues of the day, but a majority of this collection are essays about kids in the outdoors or stories about McManus as a young outdoorsman and his cast of characters – other boys, his dog Strange, wily store owners, wise Granny, and Rancid Crabtree. I think these are where McManus truly shines.

Strangely, three of the stories involve surplus stores, describing the pitiful state that the goods tend to be in, and the effect those goods have on the boys that just have to have that genuine jungle sleeping bag or used Nazi mess kit. I recall from my childhood visiting a surplus store in deep rural Southern Illinois, with the overwhelming smell of long damp canvas, and just full of treasures that my dad wouldn’t let me buy (except for a can of peanut butter from WWII, which I think exploded in the car on the way back from vacation). McManus captured the smell, and the mania, perfectly. Another enjoyable set.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Dying Animal

The Dying Animal by Philip Roth My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this at the same age as the protagonist, and I greatly appreciated t...