14.7.21

Review: Transaction Man: The Rise of the Deal and the Decline of the American Dream

Transaction Man: The Rise of the Deal and the Decline of the American DreamTransaction Man: The Rise of the Deal and the Decline of the American Dream by Nicholas Lemann
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I tend to enjoy these kinds of books. I found this to be the same kind of book as Alvin Toffler’s “The Third Wave”. Toffler divides human history into 3 “waves”, or defining eras. Here, the author divides the post WW1 times into 3 “eras” related to economics. Interesting, and with some similar thoughts as following reading Toffler. The author focuses on a few individuals for each era, making this a reasonably readable book. Interesting framing, but I will need to think through the consequences of looking through this lens, if any. My doubt is because the progression the author describes, from organizational man to transactional man to network man, is how I pictured the world prior to reading the book. Here you get the author’s naming, as well as history and back stories.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Dying Animal

The Dying Animal by Philip Roth My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this at the same age as the protagonist, and I greatly appreciated t...