17.1.21

Review: The Midnight Library

The Midnight LibraryThe Midnight Library by Matt Haig
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Interesting, good but not great story of a young woman who attempts suicide, only to find herself in a purgatory, if you’d call it that, of a library containing volumes of books each reflecting different life choices. The library concept was used, it feels, to draw in a certain type of reader, one who is keen on libraries. The library is a major part of the plot and our main character ends up there many times. The description, initially like the in-between world described in “The Magicians”, ended up being a bit of comic relief through the efforts of the librarian and a catastrophe. I found the many different lives the main character tried out to be quite interesting. I especially appreciated that the author made the main character a student of philosophy, so you get some deep thoughts on what was occurring and major life decisions that had quite different and unexpected impacts on everyone’s lives. Overall, fun to think about these philosophical concepts and how they relate to life, but at times a bit too comic book.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Dying Animal

The Dying Animal by Philip Roth My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this at the same age as the protagonist, and I greatly appreciated t...