26.1.21

Review: Girl, Stop Apologizing: A Shame-Free Plan for Embracing and Achieving Your Goals

Girl, Stop Apologizing: A Shame-Free Plan for Embracing and Achieving Your GoalsGirl, Stop Apologizing: A Shame-Free Plan for Embracing and Achieving Your Goals by Rachel Hollis
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

57 year old male here. Why did I read this? I thought it might interest my college-age daughters and wanted to get an idea of what is popular motivational book would be for that age. What did I find? I found a typical book about planning and meeting goals. I found the author to be a very strong voice, one that tends to be uplifting. But also, a voice that has a personality that could rub you the wrong way at times. Do you have a friend that is always talking, and it’s become such a habit for the friend that at times the talk wanders into the bizarre or non-sensical, and you think, “Oh, he ran out of things to say and had to make something up.” That’s kind of what happens here on occasion. Hollis starts crabbing about how hard it is being rich. Later she’s bragging about her boob job. This is all mixed in with a mild goal setting process that she describes. It kinda works, in a manner. Let me put it this way. Say there is a “popular” group in school and you are not in it. And one of the popular girls offers to teach a class on goals. If you go, you know she’ll try hard to relate her life to yours, but she’ll also slip up and say things that show she thinks much higher of herself than any of her audience. But you think you’ll get something out of the class. Do you go? That’s a way to describe how I felt about this book and how I’ll describe it to my daughters. One daughter stared reading this before I did, but I suspect she won't finish it. I think she'll get the basic ideas and the voice quickly, and opt for her self-help in shorter blog entries she finds through her friends. I could understand how some people could really enjoy this.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Dying Animal

The Dying Animal by Philip Roth My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this at the same age as the protagonist, and I greatly appreciated t...