26.4.20

Review: A Most Elegant Equation: Euler’s Formula and the Beauty of Mathematics

A Most Elegant Equation: Euler’s Formula and the Beauty of MathematicsA Most Elegant Equation: Euler’s Formula and the Beauty of Mathematics by David Stipp
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

It’s math. And it’s history. And philosophy. But mostly math.

I found the math descriptions well simplified. I thought I would get a lot of math knowledge out of this book. Or at least I would be reminded of a lot of math from my courses decades ago. There was a little faint recognition. I appreciate the job the author did in jogging my memory on e. But I found the history, especially the story of Euler, more interesting here. When I reflect on this book a week after reading, I most remember not the math, but the Euler stories, especially about his family. I noted while listening to this audiobook that the last quarter or so was more philosophical, about the meaning of beauty. This discussion was a bit overdone and didn’t add to the story as much as I would have hoped. Go for the math, stay for the history.


View all my reviews

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Dying Animal

The Dying Animal by Philip Roth My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this at the same age as the protagonist, and I greatly appreciated t...