28.4.20

Review: Lincoln's Gift: How Humor Shaped Lincoln's Life and Legacy

Lincoln's Gift: How Humor Shaped Lincoln's Life and LegacyLincoln's Gift: How Humor Shaped Lincoln's Life and Legacy by Gordon Leidner
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

What did I learn in this book? I learned that Lincoln liked to reply to a comment or question beginning with “That reminds me of a story…”, and that story was often about a fellow in Springfield. From this book, you get the idea that Lincoln was less of a stand-up comedian, and more of a Garrison Keillor type, a fellow who liked longer stories about people that did odd things, often to illustrate a point or to point out a human frailty. Interesting, but quite repetitive. And don’t expect to learn any jokes here to tell your friends. These tend to work for politics, law, and debating. The author tells Lincoln’s life story, dishing out the humorous (and sometimes not so humorous) stories that he told. I most liked hearing (on the audiobook) the pithy things he said while younger.

View all my reviews

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Dying Animal

The Dying Animal by Philip Roth My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this at the same age as the protagonist, and I greatly appreciated t...