26.3.20

Review: The Autobiography of an Ex-Colored Man

The Autobiography of an Ex-Colored ManThe Autobiography of an Ex-Colored Man by James Weldon Johnson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Well written story of a light skinned black man at the turn of the century, seeing the world in turns as white and as black. The observations of our main character cover his entire life, from upbringing through schooling, his work in a cigar factory, becoming a famous player of ragtime music, and touring the world accompanying a very rich man. Although written around a hundred years ago and covering a time before that, this book seemed somewhat current in the way it described the ways people think and act when it comes to race, contrasting the perceptions of rich and poor, Europeans and Americans, Northerners and Southerners, partiers and businessmen. The writing had the feel of Twain, not in depth or pith but in descriptive voice. I felt like the author had a goal in what to present and put together a good plan in this book. I enjoyed the book, and I feel like I learned something. Cigars and ragtime – I’m in.

View all my reviews

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: The Dying Animal

The Dying Animal by Philip Roth My rating: 4 of 5 stars I read this at the same age as the protagonist, and I greatly appreciated t...