2.11.19

Review: Great Horse Racing Mysteries

Great Horse Racing Mysteries Great Horse Racing Mysteries by John McEvoy
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I found this collection of true stories of horse racing “mysteries” a bit uneven, in terms of both the story as well as the writing. But for my intent, a light read between deeper books with horse racing as a subject, this worked well. I found the variety in the types of stories interesting, but noticed that some really didn’t seem all that mysterious. Criminality was the basis for most, if not all of these stories. I thought that the most interesting would be the Alydar story, having read the excellent book “Wild Ride” on Alydar and the downfall of Calumet Farms. Here, the story is a short summary of what happened, with a lot of back story on Affirmed and Alydar. My favorite story in this collection was about Hawthorne burning, because Hawthorne is near where I live and I hadn’t heard this story before. But there’s not a lot to it. Again, I found this an OK book for a casual read involving horse racing (in my case this fit in where I’d normally read a Dick Francis book).

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Foundation

Foundation by Isaac Asimov My rating: 3 of 5 stars I decided to read the Foundation novels in chronological order, and before this...