16.7.19

Review: The Power of Cute

The Power of Cute The Power of Cute by Simon May
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Academic riffing on the meaning of cuteness in culture. The book shows the difference in what cute means in American and European cultures compared to Japanese culture. There are definitions and conjectures about what it all means. Strangest point related to how cute is often one small step away from monstrous. Deeper than many a pop culture book nowadays, but more on theory and conjecture and less on the statistics and objective observations you’d expect in a pop science book. Once I got used to the intellectual level, I found it provided some interesting things to think about, though nothing notably prescriptive. The Princeton University Press audiobook was overwhelmingly British.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Foundation

Foundation by Isaac Asimov My rating: 3 of 5 stars I decided to read the Foundation novels in chronological order, and before this...