10.6.19

Review: The Epigenetics Revolution: How Modern Biology Is Rewriting Our Understanding of Genetics, Disease, and Inheritance

The Epigenetics Revolution: How Modern Biology Is Rewriting Our Understanding of Genetics, Disease, and Inheritance The Epigenetics Revolution: How Modern Biology Is Rewriting Our Understanding of Genetics, Disease, and Inheritance by Nessa Carey
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I like to talk about the march of technology, and the way I see it in software is that basic functions are understood and then packaged together into higher level functions, which are subsequently bundled together to create even higher level functions. In science, it seems the opposite is true – things keep getting broken down into their building blocks, which get more granular and interact in stranger ways. From this book I think of epigenetics as breaking down the concept that DNA is THE instruction for an organism into DNA being one of the pathways to determine what an organism is and how it functions. I really liked how the author time and again found analogous stories to describe the science, making it broadly understandable. She made the effort to explain, sometimes multiple ways, that you don’t always find in these kinds of popular science books. I’d say this is a bit deeper than an average pop science book, but better explained. I’m looking forward to reading more by this author.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Foundation

Foundation by Isaac Asimov My rating: 3 of 5 stars I decided to read the Foundation novels in chronological order, and before this...