28.12.18

Review: Leisureville: Adventures in a World Without Children

Leisureville: Adventures in a World Without Children Leisureville: Adventures in a World Without Children by Andrew D. Blechman
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Having just reached the age where I can buy a house in an age-restricted community, I approached “Leisureville” as a way to learn about what they were and what kinds of people populated them. I got that, but by an author who has an ax to grind. As an explanation for what the residents see in these communities, the author provides examples of how these places become community and home. A big part of the benefit of living in such a community appears to be planned activities, with many clubs and sports to choose from (yes, another mention of pickleball), and many recreational facilities, including restaurants and bars. And the author describes most residents of these communities as thriving there, with a few having different experiences and moving back. So for this level of reportage, I got what I was looking for, on a very interesting topic.

I also got what I wasn’t expecting, which was a diatribe against age-specific housing restrictions in the US. I hadn’t thought through the issues that these communities engender, and the author points out many, including limiting school expenditures even for support employees living in the area, reduced parks for the young, limitations on competition in terms of businesses, limitations on community governance, and so on. The author takes a stand strongly against these kinds of developments, and his opinions greatly influence his writing. At times, it seems he chooses to write specific stories in order to ridicule residents and to make his case. While I appreciated the descriptions of the communities and their histories, and I appreciated learning about the issues they cause in the area, the lecturing tone detracted from the message and made me question the validity of the writing. Think of this as a very long op-ed.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Foundation

Foundation by Isaac Asimov My rating: 3 of 5 stars I decided to read the Foundation novels in chronological order, and before this...