21.12.18

Review: The Landscape of History: How Historians Map the Past

The Landscape of History: How Historians Map the Past The Landscape of History: How Historians Map the Past by John Lewis Gaddis
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

A historian analogizes the practice of writing history. It’s like making a map, where the mapmaker gets to decide what to feature, and how to measure, and level of detail. Later, it’s like something else. I found this interesting for a bit, but found the intellectual navel gazing, while very well written in non-academic prose, still couldn’t hold my interest beyond the first change of analogy. The style of writing was interesting enough that I would look for other books by this author on actual histories.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Foundation

Foundation by Isaac Asimov My rating: 3 of 5 stars I decided to read the Foundation novels in chronological order, and before this...