27.12.18

Review: How to Wash a Chicken: Mastering the Business Presentation

How to Wash a Chicken: Mastering the Business Presentation How to Wash a Chicken: Mastering the Business Presentation by Tim Calkins
My rating: 0 of 5 stars

I accidentally checked this audiobook out from my library’s Hoopla site, but I found it quite well done. I’ve read many business presentation books over the past few years, and most focus on the message. Here, the author spends as much time focusing on meeting logistics as the message. It was refreshing to read his advice in when to cancel a meeting – I had not seen other books cover this necessary political skill, and it is well described here. Another one of my hot buttons is team presentations. It seems most business presentations I’ve been involved with over the past few decades had two or more presenters, but the logistics of the dance of changing presenters is rarely discussed. Here, the author provides suggestions on limiting handoffs, and in making those handoffs as professional and quick as possible. The author also provides valuable advice in preparing for the “physical plant” of the room, testing lighting before the presentation for instance. About half of this book is traditional business presentation messaging advice, and the author quotes many of the books that I suspect many have read, like Nancy Duarte’s books, and Gallo’s book on Jobs’ presentation skills. Overall, I found this a valuable addition to the literature on business presentation, with good summation of state of the art from other books and a bonus focus on logistics and politics of presentations and meeting planning.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Foundation

Foundation by Isaac Asimov My rating: 3 of 5 stars I decided to read the Foundation novels in chronological order, and before this...