7.11.18

Review: The Capitalist Code: It Can Save Your Life and Make You Very Rich

The Capitalist Code: It Can Save Your Life and Make You Very Rich The Capitalist Code: It Can Save Your Life and Make You Very Rich by Ben Stein
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I have an Uncle that I knew was an investor, along with his full time job as a draftsman. He owned stocks, and he was a partner in a fast food place in Fort Leonard Wood. He’d occasionally give my Dad old copies of Value Line, and I read those voraciously when I was in high school. I understood, in part from listening to my Uncle and my Father talk, that investing was the way to go. But my Uncle liked to invest in particular stocks, hoping to beat the market. Fast forward to today’s investment landscape shared on social platform Reddit, with the FIRE folks, interested in gaining financial independence. These folks have done the research, and seen the value of investing not in individual shares but in broad swaths of the market in low cost ETFs or mutual funds, diversifying away the risks of individual stocks and putting faith in the power of the market and compounded growth. If you mix my Uncle with the philosophy of FIRE, you get Ben Stein’s book “The Capitalist Code”. Lots of basic advice, lots of personal anecdotes. A fine introduction for a young person beginning investing. For those already dipped in this philosophy, this is just a nicely written, fun (or is the word "droll"?) reminder. And you get to relive a little of “Ferris Buehler’s Day Off” in the beginning.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Foundation

Foundation by Isaac Asimov My rating: 3 of 5 stars I decided to read the Foundation novels in chronological order, and before this...