10.7.18

Review: All That Is

All That Is All That Is by James Salter
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I read this on a whim, having never before heard of the author. I hoped to find something of interest, something that grabbed me. This both did and didn’t. In the details, the sentences, the book was very good. I remember reading, or rather listening to sections and realizing the descriptiveness was very well done. As to the overall message of the book, I didn’t think as much of it. I write this a week after finishing it, and I realize the overall plot didn’t really lodge in memory, and neither did any of the vignettes that this consisted of. Sometimes this happens based on the mood I’m in instead of the writing. I admit to lazy reading at times. And sometimes this feeling is because of the writing – being depressing. This was, quite often, depressing. So I’d read more of this author, counting on the sentences being good and hoping that there was a reason behind all the writing, or at least one more obvious.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Foundation

Foundation by Isaac Asimov My rating: 3 of 5 stars I decided to read the Foundation novels in chronological order, and before this...