24.6.18

Review: The Life of an American Slave

The Life of an American Slave The Life of an American Slave by Frederick Douglass
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Like many of the reviewers of this book, I found this quite a chilling story. I was pleasantly pleased by the simple and very readable writing, not as flowery as other writers of the times. And the story of Douglass’ resourcefulness in working his way to freedom was really key. The part of the book that really struck me was near the middle, where Douglass is describing the first of his masters to be mean. He repeats the word mean many times over within a few pages in his descriptions of this master and his behavior. I have teen daughters that over-use the word “mean” to describe the many other girls and boys that have slighted them, and the word had lost meaning to me. But the repetition here tells the story of a master that permanently scarred Douglas, and the way he told this really made the story hit home and to bring back the strength of the word “mean” to me to include the truly heinous. Looking forward to reading other Douglass books.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Foundation

Foundation by Isaac Asimov My rating: 3 of 5 stars I decided to read the Foundation novels in chronological order, and before this...