30.5.18

Review: The Disorganized Mind: Coaching Your ADHD Brain to Take Control of Your Time, Tasks, and Talents

The Disorganized Mind: Coaching Your ADHD Brain to Take Control of Your Time, Tasks, and Talents The Disorganized Mind: Coaching Your ADHD Brain to Take Control of Your Time, Tasks, and Talents by Nancy A. Ratey
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I read this to get insights into the thoughts of one of my loved ones with late diagnosis ADD, and what I learned was as much about me as them. One of the insights here is, not surprisingly, that dealing with the dimension of time can be difficult for those with ADHD. The author provides a number of tactics to deal with this issue, including creating a habit of planning and including some regular notification of the passage of time, like the ringing of an hourly alarm on a watch. I find that these tactics would work well for me as well, as I tend to get carried away by trivial pursuits, forget to consider travel time, and other symptoms as discussed here. Those are just examples. The book discusses quite a range of behaviors. I found the book quite useful. I listened to the audio version, and I found that the stories were quite interesting, but the organization was more for flow than for conciseness. Easy to listen, but easy to forget the points. I found myself re-listening to sections a few days later to remember examples and suggestions. For this reason, and given there are a few lists and todo sections in the book, this may be best read and not listened to.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Foundation

Foundation by Isaac Asimov My rating: 3 of 5 stars I decided to read the Foundation novels in chronological order, and before this...