24.9.24

Review: ABC for Book Collectors

ABC for Book CollectorsABC for Book Collectors by John Carter
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I have a hobby now of flipping modern classic books found at estate sales. I always check the prices from various amateur and professional booksellers online, and I kept finding that the professionals have their own patois. Wanting to know more, and to make my own ads with some knowing verbiage, I took a chance on this classic glossary of book related terms. So this is a British book, written with that low-key British wit throughout. I actually enjoyed reading this, and I went through it alphabetically. However, the focus here was more on books over 150 years old than on those more modern. I ended up skimming about half of the entries because they were about books I doubt I will ever see, or bindings, or research sources. What I read was interesting and entertaining, and I know more than I did, so the book did its job well.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: ABC for Book Collectors

ABC for Book Collectors by John Carter My rating: 4 of 5 stars I have a hobby now of flipping modern classic books found at estate ...